Disaster Recovery Support
Is your business ready for and capable to continue operations if disaster strikes? Organizations large and small partner with Smolin due to their ability to plan for and adjust to any situation. Disaster recovery requires the same approach, to establish a detailed plan that is customized to the unique needs of your organization.
A thorough disaster recovery plan and service can be the difference between your organization succeeding or failing after a catastrophe. Regardless of the size of your business, in order to compete and remain profitable, you must be accessible to customers and able to conduct business even when disaster strikes.
While every business should have contingency plans in place, true disaster recovery planning should be done with the assistance of experts with the knowledge and experience to allow for immediate reaction. Your business’s ability to continue operations in spite of unforeseen events is crucial to your bottom line and survival. Failing to establish the right plan with the right partner can have a devastating effect on a company’s financial standing.
A high quality disaster recovery solution can address all of your business’s needs in order to be up in running in any situation. This includes data backup, locating a temporary office location, establishing communication and providing computer hardware. Things to consider when creating a disaster recovery plan include:
- The number of employees who will need the capability to maintain operations in the event of a disaster.
- The type and amount of power that is necessary to maintain your business operations.
- Your data storage needs, including backup.
- Your IT infrastructure, including servers, computers and operating systems.
- How communication, including phone calls, should be handled in the event of an emergency.
When a disaster affects your company’s physical location, it is important to have the ability to locate and occupy office space that is immediately ready for your company’s use. This allows your employees to continue to work productively despite loss of an office location.
Disaster recovery experts will have the ability to react immediately to provide alternate office locations that are suitable to the needs of your business. Office space should provide at minimum desks, chairs and meeting areas to support the needs of your business.
In case of emergency, there are two ways of providing emergency office space. The first is a brick and mortar location that establishes a new home base for employees. The second option is a mobile office solution that can be set up near the site of your original office location or at another site depending on the needs of your business.
Sourcing office space and providing location options to your organization are the responsibility of your disaster recovery provider and should be identified shortly after the emergency event.
Many disaster events are due to the loss of power at your office or worksite. Even if you have access to your workspace, your organization requires electricity in order to be productive. Emergency generators can provide the electricity your company needs, but they are often in short supply in the event of a disaster. There are a number of ways to address this concern through a disaster recovery plan:
- On-site generators: Depending on your business needs, it may be advantageous to have backup generators on site. On-site generators eliminate downtime while power sources are located and installed. Emergency generators can be installed as soon as a power outage occurs, allowing your company and organization to continue working as if power supply was not an issue.
- On-demand generators: A world class provider of disaster recovery services will have access to and the ability to provide generators on demand in a short period of time. This is especially important during unforeseen emergencies where sourcing generators can be nearly impossible.
- Fuel drops: Generators require fuel to continue running. By providing fuel drops, your business’s operations can continue without worry about running out of a fuel source.
- Electricians: Licensed, professional electricians may be immediately dispatched to address power issues that reside inside of your business’s location.
- Maintenance: Maintenance of electrical systems is important to avoid costly power service interruptions.
A communications plan is a crucial step in disaster recovery planning. The plan should include how employees and key team members will be communicated with in the event of a disaster.
Additionally, the plan should detail how customers and key stakeholders can communicate with the company in the event that established lines of communication are inaccessible. Your communications plan should include provisions for telephone communication and internet connectivity.
It is important that these communication back up methods are not contingent on the ability of your communication providers. Disaster recovery plans must provide a way to restore communications even if your communications providers are unable to provide service due to a disaster.
Your organization’s computer systems are vital to the operations of your business. During a disaster, it is important to acquire, set-up and have computers, servers and other office equipment available at the backup office location. Finding, purchasing and installing this type of equipment on the fly during an emergency is typically not feasible.
Therefore, your disaster recovery solution must include a provision for office equipment that meets your business needs. Covered hardware should include:
- PCs and laptops
- Fax machines
A world class provider of disaster recovery services will have the capability to source and set up these items to allow your company to continue its operations to enable you to service your customers. Each disaster and emergency situation is different and requires a different level of response. Your disaster recovery solution must be equipped to handle any disaster, from a power outage to devastating storms. This should be done with a focus on the needs of your business, your employees and your customers. For additional information on disaster recovery services, contact Smolin today.